1st March 2018, for six weeks.
Following in the footsteps of the pioneering flights of the 1920s, 15 vintage aircraft built in the early 1900s take to the air for a truly unique rally across the Americas. The VintageAirRally starts on the 1st March 2018 from Ushuaia, Argentina and finishes on the 14th April in Florida, USA. The Rally connects some of the most beautiful and evocative points, combining the challenge of flying these magnificent planes with the element of competition which was equally prevalent in those early days.
The Rally begins from the world’s southernmost airport, heading north to Florida, journey’s end.
A rally such as this has never been done before in South America – and follows on from the successful 2016 VintageAirRally Crete2Cape.
For the narrative please click on the link below:
Completely free, open to anyone. For the first time in history. Not too good to be true, it is true, thanks to our sponsors’ financial and services support, without whom it wouldn’t be possible.
We’ll transport you and your aircraft to the START in Ushuaia, Argentina. During the VintageAirRally Ushuaia2USA, we’ll take care of your food, accommodation, fuel, oil, permits, fees, immigration, insurance etc. etc. (and then get you and your plane back to your home country from the FINISH in Florida).
We’re accepting applications now for teams from every country on earth.
- Now Apply Here
- 1st November, the shortlisted teams (two people in a plane or helicopter) are notified.
- 1st December, those who have won a place on the VintageAirRally Ushuaia2USA will be notified. You’ll then have one manic month to get your aircraft ready for shipping.
- 1st January 2018, aircraft are collected from all over the world, for transport to Ushuaia.
- 1st March, START of the VintageAirRally Ushuaia2USA
- 14th April, FINISH at Sun N Fun in Lakeland, Florida – 19 countries and six weeks later.
The successful teams will be chosen on the basis of many criteria, including but not limited to:
- Personal experience and background (on the ground and in the air) – what’s YOUR story?
- Type of aircraft, and tell us more about it.
- Ability to spread the word about the VintageAirRally – we need exposure for our sponsors, how can you help?
- Ability to raise sponsorship for the VintageAirRally – we need their support; how can you help?
- Ability to generate celebrity endorsement for the VintageAirRally – we need exposure for our sponsors and this is a great way to do it.
- Anything else you can/want to bring to the VintageAirRally and its sponsors/supporters.
During the application process we’ll advise you on how you’re doing – giving you time to try and improve (if necessary) your chances of getting a place on the Rally.
You don’t need to have an aircraft.
You don’t even need to be a pilot.
If you’ve got the passion and drive you can find a pilot with a plane/helicopter and convince them to fly you (not too difficult, it’s all free, for them as well). There is such a thing as 44 free lunches. You just need to show us that you have what’s needed on a VintageAirRally. Grit and Glory.